Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Food at the Waukesha County Fair

For the past eight years, I have worked the Waukesha County Fair with my company Image Makers Advertising. We handle all the marketing for the Fair and I specifically handle/assist with public relations, media relations and most recently social media.

In all those years, I have been through everything at the Fair - extreme heat (2011), rain/flooding (2010), cold (2009) and now drought. With all that we do, we still find downtime to enjoy the Fair while working and some go on the rides, some relax to the great music and I (of course) like to try the new foods. In the past my favorites have been deep-fried vegetables, iced chai tea (I think I had 7 in one Fair), fried catfish, funnel cakes and chicken strips.

Some of my favorites are back and here are some additional food highlights of the Fair.

Catfish Johnny's (look for the guy with the 6 ft. fish next to his booth) - This vendor is a favorite of Justin Williams at Fox6 and when he comes to the grounds, I always take him over to say hi to the workers and owner. In return, Justin gets a huge plate of scrumptious eats. The fried catfish and the hush puppies are excellent. This place is consistently good.

Silver Spur - This place is located just across from the Coors Light Tent on the north end of the grounds and does excellent business all day long. I MUST have their "Bubba's chicken strips and fries" each year at least once. I don't know what the coating is made of, but it is sweet and salty and I just can't get enough. Prices are very decent too!

Mill Street Concessions is the home of my deep fried vegetables. The line is always really long because in addition to vegetables deep fried, they have deep fried cheese - perfect for a Wisconsin event.
Mill Street Concessions - on the left that says Hot Wisconsin Cheese

Anderson's Corn Roast - seriously how can you go wrong with corn on the cob?

Those are my favorites from the past but I hope to try something new each day of the Fair and report back. Some of the new items this year that I want to try are the gator sausage sandwich, bacon-wrapped tator tots on a stick and the chicken salad wrap. If I was a cream puff person (I'm a funnel cake fan), I would definitely try the new Berry Cream Puff in the 4-H Kitchen. I'll have to get a review on that for sure.

I did also see that there is a cheese stuffed jumbo burger, big bacon on a stick, Louisiana crawfish boil, orange chicken, fajitas, jumbo turkey legs, brownie supreme sundae, coffee drinks and cajun cuisine. If you can't find something at the Fair, you are waaaay too picky of an eater :)


There are great admissions promotions to help you save a little at the gates, we have a great Miller Lite Main Stage Lineup this year as well as local entertainment on two stages.


But I love being on the grounds and working with the great Fair Board of Directors in helping the Fair be a success. They are a solid team and I am glad that I have had the opportunity to work so closely with them.

The Fair opens tomorrow at 3 pm and goes through Sunday at 9 pm. Hope you have an opportunity to stop out and try some food, play some games, check out the animals, go on a ride, dance, drink and just be merry.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    This is great! Thanks for writing up Mill Street and Hot Wisconsin Cheese. I am currently working and traveling with Rob and we are having a blast. We are wrapping up Three Rivers Festival in Fort Wayne IN, but will mos def be in Wisconsin for the State Fair. Hope you are able to grab some cheese!

    Thanks,

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete