Thursday, August 30, 2012

Waukesha Farmers' Market

Last weekend, my parents and I decided to get up early Saturday morning and head out to the Waukesha Farmers' Market. I had only been to it once before this season, so I was due for a trip. 

The farmers' market runs every Saturday from May to October, 8 am to noon on Riverfront Plaza. If you aren't familiar with the road, it is one block north of Main Street along the river. The road is now closed off completely on Saturdays due to the increased size of the market. If you can find the river in downtown, you found the market. 

We parked at my job because I had to drop off my bike for a bike/bar crawl later that night and just walked over. But if you park in the parking lots by the former antique malls, be ready to donate $1 to a great non-profit organization. Because the antique malls are no longer open, but the property is owned by a private company, they need to instill the parking codes still. Berg Management manages the lots and decided to offer up the lots to different organization to collect funds each weekend. High School activities and athletics have been fortunate to reap the benefits of this collection already. If you aren't willing to pay $1 to park, there is still plenty of free parking throughout downtown Waukesha, you may just have to walk a bit further. 

We started by visiting the two booths on the north side of the river. This leaves room for plenty of expansion for the market. One of these booths was the only booth at the market to have any fresh dill as we found out when my dad was asked by every person walking by where he got his dill. The other booth was a jewelry booth that makes really cool bracelets from license plates. You have to see them to understand but I hope to get one before the market is done this Fall.
Yummy mixes at the Waukesha Farmers' Market
 We crossed the river by Main Street Plaza and headed into the market. The market literally has everything - vegetables, fruit, plants, flowers, bread, meat, eggs, jewelry, soap, honey, clothing and more. And each week its a little different too.

Fresh produce at the Waukesha Farmer's Market
Jewelry at the Waukesha Farmers' Market
We stopped at Decatur Cheese first because I remember trying the cheese at the Fort Atkinson market and it was delicious. We bought some muenster and we found a cheese curd that my mom didn't mind - ranch flavored white cheddar curd. We didn't buy any but it went on the list.

Decatur Cheese at Waukesha Farmers' Market
I was on a mission to get some fresh local produce for a Greek dip (found via Pinterest) I was making for my MKEFoodies picnic the next day (more on that to come next week). I needed cucumbers, dill and red pepper. We found some gigantic cucumbers, mini peppers and of course the dill. My parents got tomatoes, the cheese, pickles, the dill and a mixed basket of onions. The pickles are currently sitting in a crock in the kitchen doing their pickle thing. I can hardly wait to have one!

Local produce at the Waukesha Farmers' Market
I also bought myself a spinach asiago mini bread and my mom got an oatmeal raisin cookie that we called breakfast. I got the bread after having a bite off my friend Carolyn's a few months prior at the market and it was heavenly. The cookie was gone after I was handed just one little piece so I'm guessing no complaints.
Beautiful quilt at the Waukesha Farmers' Market

Some of the local downtown restaurants and shops are setting up as part of the farmers' market as well and I find this a really smart idea. Montecito restaurant had plenty of ooey-gooey desserts that looked delicious, Oh What A Day Cupcakes had a small booth with some of their offerings, The Steaming Cup had tea and coffee available, the Record shop on Clinton brought out some of their CDs and DVDs to sell, Plowshare had a booth with baskets and Key Westconsin serves up breakfast seeing as they are on Riverview Plaza. There may have been others, I might have just missed them.

If you get a chance, I highly recommend checking out this market. On Sept. 8 is the annual Art Fest in Waukesha that closes down Main Street with local artisans on display. Come make a day of Waukesha, enjoy the farmer's market, some breakfast/brunch/lunch and then the Art Fest and come see what Waukesha is all about.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah:

    I was wondering if I could have permission to use a few of the pictures you have from the Waukesha Farmers Market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @scott - You may use the images if you give me credit for taking them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sarah.
    I am hoping to use one of the pics for the new Waukesha Farmers' Market website which will be launching soon.

    ReplyDelete