Sunday, November 25, 2012

EXTRA!! Wauk Wednesday: Magellan's 'Za and Beer Tasting

Do you notice the bowling lane wood? Such a neat idea!

Last week Wednesday, I attended a 'za and beer tasting at Magellan's Bar in Waukesha. It was an absolutely PHE-nomenal experience worth every dollar. And at only $15, I felt like I was stealing! I asked a few friends to join me for the night, including #beerclub, but only Tiffany and Brandon were able to join me. We met some other friends of Tiffany's at the bar and they joined us at our awesome bowling alley table.

I have been a fan of Magellan's pizza ever since they opened up the M2 side of the bar and had regular seating for pizza. The crust is always cooked perfectly and although the 'za might take a little longer on busy nights, it is worth the wait.  The bar is located on W. Main Street in downtown Waukesha and has a bar side and a dinner side. They also have live music on weekends, pool and shuffleboard.

The beer distributor for Six Point Beers for the state of Wisconsin started the night off with a little history of the brewery. Six Point stands for the six main things that beer is made of: malt, hops, water, yeast, grain and the brewer. It was also what a seal of approval from back in the olden days when wax would seal an envelope and make it official. He also explained to us that we would be enjoying five slices of pizza paired perfectly with five beers from Six Point. While we waited, we were able to enjoy $2 pints of Six Point. Being an Octoberfest fan, I went for the Autumnation and it was more hoppy with very little autumn flavors. But it was still quite enjoyable.
And then the first slice was delivered. I had my iPhone out to take notes and pictures and my camera out for extra shots. I wanted to capture every single moment of this great event. Slice one was called "Wise Guy" with fresh mozzarella, smoked fennel sausage and caramelized onions. The crust was nice and crunchy and the onions sweetness paired well with the fennel. It was paired with The Crisp (5.4% ABV). It lives up to its name with its crisp finish and lightness on the hops.

While waiting for slice two, I took a few shots of the ambiance of the event. I love the Gibson artwork that helps promote Waukesha as a Guitar Town.

Dan from Magellan's was nice enough to ask the group if anyone was afraid of spice as the next pizza included Habanero's. I raised my hand slightly and when my slice was delivered, Dan told me it had the least amount of Habanero salsa and it was put on after baking, so I could pick if off if I needed to. This pizza was a cilantro-based pesto with fresh mozzarella and canitas (deep fried pork - heavenly!). I tried one bite with the salsa on it and the flavors complimented each other really well. I was attempting to comment on the amazing cilantro flavor and then the pepper found me and started to overtake me. Luckily the beer was paired with Bengali Tiger India Pale Ale (6.4% ABV). Although hoppy, it did have citrus hints and literally killed the spice of the pizza - a perfect pairing. I did take the rest of the salsa off and really enjoyed this slice.
Check out that salsa, pork and cliantro heaven!

The next slice was a BBQ chicken, pineapple, red onion and fresh mozzarella (theme of the night). I have had many BBQ chicken pizzas in the last few years but the addition of pineapple gave this one the edge. Sweet, salty and a kick of spice! I believe this one was paired with the Brownstone (6% ABV) but even though I took notes like a nut, I didn't write it down. Judging from the dark beer color in the background, it must be the brownstone, a beer I have tried before and loved. Nice, smooth with a nutty, hoppy flavor.
The fourth slice was the Sicilian or in the words of the owner, "f'n meat lovers." Capicola, sausage, oregano, basil and fresh mozzarella. At this point, I was getting really full, but I still had to try everything. The capicola really made this pizza - so different than other meat lovers pizzas I have had. And the fresh basil - super bueno!!! This was paired with Righteous Ale (6.3% ABV). It was malty, earthy with floral under tones.
And finally, the Philly Cheesesteak pizza!!! This consisted of fresh mozzarella, mushrooms, peppers, shredded beef, onions and Alfredo sauce. I really wish this slice wasn't last as I was sooooo full, I couldn't eat as much as I wanted too. This was paired with a dessert beer (they didn't have a dessert pizza to serve with it). They served it with the Autumnation (6.7% ABV). I do see how this would be a perfect dessert beer, but I think it paired well with the pizza.
I conceded defeat and placed my napkin over the deliciousness that I couldn't finish. I was too embarrassed to show you what I couldn't eat.




This night was WAAAAY more than I expected and I am so happy that I was able to attend. In all about 35 people attended this great event. I hope they plan some more in the future.  I will definitely return on a regular night and hope to have the Philly Cheesesteak or Cilantro Basil pizza - my faves of the night. This definitely gives them a 'slice up' from me in my personal pizza challenge. Only a few more places to try - hahahaha - like 20 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment