Monday, August 12, 2013

Flatbread Copycat

Updated: I didn't have a computer and did my first blog from the Blogger app - worked well, but I couldn't add links or center images. I have now made those updates and feel much better :)

If you haven't figured it out yet, I am a huge fan of Bernie's Tap Room's flatbreads, especially the duck & Brie version. I have introduced so many people to it and everyone loves it. Great place for beer in Waukesha too!

Bernie's Tap Room Duck & Brie Pizza

So this past weekend, I had my first trip to Woodman's and found some great tomato tortillas for a great deal and a bag of spinach for cheaper than I have ever seen. (I love Woodman's!!!)
Ingredients for the pizza (minus the goat cheese, I skipped that)
So I attempted my own crazy flatbread tonight in honor of the one from Bernie's. I preheated the oven to 400 and got to work. I put one tomato tortilla on a pizza pan and then lightly oiled it with EVOO. I would suggest using a flavored grape seed oil or olive oil--maybe garlic or Italian. 

Awesome collapsible strainer!

I washed and sautéed some spinach in a pan with a little salt and then spread that on the tortilla. 

Pre-cooked steak that I heated in the micro for 15 seconds to take out the chill.
Next was some pre-cooked marinated steak (didn't have duck), chopped up and sprinkled over. 

I bought a spreadable Brie cheese and just put dollups all over the pizza. I didn't have an purple onion or any onion at all, so I sprinkled just a little put of onion powder over the whole thing and then a handful of Craisins. 

Pop it in the over for 7 minutes or until the cheese looks gooey and the edge is browned. Let sit a minute or two, slice and serve. 

It was pretty good, but something about Bernie's (probably the duck and the fact I didn't make it) is so much better! But this will work in a pinch.

1 comment:

  1. I think the secret to Bernie's is the Cream Sauce. You could probably replicate this with some alfredo sauce from a jar and some dried or fresh sage mixed into it.

    If you don't want to make duck confit you could use dark meat from a rotisserie chicken, or buy a pre-cooked half duck from Woodmans (they are in the freezer near the sushi).

    ReplyDelete