Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lenten Ritual

Yes, its that time of year again, when I sit down and take time to reflect on the negatives in my life and ways to fix them. My never ending battle with "bad for me, but tastes so good" food is always a forerunner for things to give up during Lent. For the past two years, I have given up sweets and it has gone very well. Besides one shot with regular Red Bull last year, I can honestly say I didn't have any sweets (diet soda doesn't count). Last year, I tacked on no Fast Food, because well, it was getting too convenient for me to order up some deep fried grub and mow it down everyday. I began noticing the pounds pile on. In direct correlation to the no Fast Food, I also gave up being lazy. This one is a bit harder to accomplish because working 13 hours days 1 - 2 times a week makes exercise quite difficult and I'm usually pretty exhausted.

So now here are the things that I'm giving up this year for Lent. Lent begins today and goes until April 12 - that is 2 days after Brewer's Opening Day (Brewers tees are a little tight) and 46 days from today, so I'm hoping to really make some major changes that will hopefully stick with me even after the 46 days.

1) Giving up Sweets - This is mainly to kick my Mountain Dew habit which has gotten a bit out of control lately. I need to look at it as a treat, just like cake at a party or ice cream and not something I can have all the time. Every bottle is 330 empty sugar calories that I don't need residing around my middle or eating away at my teeth. I will miss you Mtn. Dew - stay just as tasty and I'll treat myself to ou when I'm done! Also, I don't think I will need the cookies, candy or other treats in my life right now if I want to fit back into some of my summer clothes.

2) Fast Food - Again this year, I will give up Fast Food, with the same exceptions as last year. 1 - Lettuce based salads are fine with dressing on the side. 2 - Sub shops are not considered fast food, I just need to order in a low fat manner (thank goodness I have been reintroduced to Mustard in the last year and like it!)

3) Being Lazy - I pay for a gym membership every month and I bet I can count on 1 hand the number of times I went to the gym in 2008. So I'm going to have to get my butt in gear and set aside time to go and not make lame-o excuses. Also, finding out that I can rent workout DVD's on Netflix is awesome- One a week is good for me!

4) Potato Chips - They are my downfall - carbs, carbs, deep friend, yummy carbs! Standing around at the liquor store at night, the "single serving" bags just stare at me until I break down and buy them. And I could rationalize it until about 6 months ago when I realized that the "single serving $.99" bags are actually 3 servings and can have upwards of 20+ grams of fat in a bag. Having that instead of dinner is not a good route to go. Finding a substitute for chips is going to be tough, but my mom eats carrot chips with salsa and I think I could do that - or with sour cream!! We will see if that works!

5) Finally, my dwindling bank account has allowed me to see that I have enjoyed a good life this last year - probably too good. I have spent where I shouldn't have and didn't save nearly enough. So for the next 46 days, I will not be spending like I have been and would like to enjoy more company at my apartment instead of going out all the time. Don't get me wrong, I love going to the bar, but when you are easily spending $20 every time you go, that's a lot of moola that I don't need to be wasting. So Fox View, we have had some great times in the last year, but I'm going to be taking a break from you and saving my wallet. You may see me there, but you won't be getting all my money like before! HaHa!

So there you have it, my 5 Lenten "give ups." I'm hoping to make it through these next 46 days without being a complete whiny, crabby person, but I make no guarantees. If I find ways around the potato chip craving, I'll post about that and leave status updates. Until tomorrow!!! (or the next few days!)

1 comment: