Sunday, October 23, 2011

Apple Cobbler

I bought myself the Hungry Girl 200 Under 200 book months ago and have made a few of the recipes. It went on the shelf for a while and I forgot about it. With all the wonderful apples available this time of year, I overindulged and needed to find a way to use them up quicker than I eat them. With my vitamin C allergy, I can only have about half an apple and I hate to waste them. Lucky for me, the Hungry Girl book had a wonderful recipe that with a few modifications makes a wonderful Apple Cobbler.

Here's my altered version to feed about 6 people dessert (or a yummy sweet breakfast). It probably isn't under 200 calories for each bite, but close.

Apple Mix:
6 of your favorite apples, cored, peeled and cut into small cubes (bite size pieces) I know my picture only shows 3 apples but that wasn't a big enough recipe for a group so I doubled it.
3 Tbsp. brown sugar - not packed
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. Splenda
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt

Crumb Topping:
1 cup Fiber One cereal
1 cup Golden Grahams
4 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. Splenda

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

In a medium unheated pot, combine all the apple mix ingredients except the apples. Add 1 1/2 cups of water and stir well. Add apple chunks and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until liquid thickens to a syrup consistency and begins to bubble. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a medium baking dish.

Combine Fiber One and Golden Grahams into a food processor and blend until finely chopped but not all the way to breadcrumbs. Transfer to a small bowl, cut in the butter and splenda and mix until its a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the apple mixture.

Bake in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes until the apple mixture is bubbly and the crumb topping is starting to brown. Allow to cool slightly and serve.



I had it with vanilla bean ice cream and it was wonderful.

2 comments:

  1. My girlfriend has a few of the HG books and they're great for "shortcut" ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apple cobbler is one of my favorite desserts ever, I haven't made it this way though. Gotta try it, it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete