Thursday, October 25, 2012

From the Books Thursday: Stuffed Green Peppers


(As part of attending OnlineBlogCon this week, I have been changing up my blog to a fresher template. Hoping to have it completely done in a week, but let me know what you think of the new color scheme!)

I have decided to start going through my cookbooks (as I have way too many that aren't getting used) and start sharing my adapted versions of the recipes in them.

My mom suggested a few weeks ago that we should have stuffed green peppers and found a recipe in the Taste of Home Favorite Brand Name Recipes 2002 book. We had almost everything in the house to make these so it seemed practical. Plus this is a favorite comfort food of mine.

We didn't have rice, so we used couscous instead.

We also didn't have enough chopped tomato or onion, so I increased the amount of zucchini, mushrooms and Parmesan cheese.

There was plenty of filling for the 6 pepper halves the recipe called for and could have had another half or two.

I covered them up and let them cook for 20 minutes. The recipe called for 35, but they looked pretty good already.
Ready for the oven

I sprinkled on some parm and let them cook for another 10 minutes. I opened the oven for a peak, and smelt a slight burning smell and decided they were done. (Recipe called for 20 more minutes).

Right out of the oven with just Parmesan cheese
I pulled them out and sprinkled some shredded mozzarella over each pepper half because my family absolutely loves cheese. We let them sit for 5 minutes and then served them up.

Added mozzarella cheese!
The peppers cut through without a problem and the filling was hot, gooey and delicious.

I served the peppers with a multi-grain bread I made the day before in my family's breadmaker.

I would definitely make this recipe again but this time, I would possibly cut the ingredients back a bit more and add some ground turkey.


Complete recipe from Taste of Home
Taste of Home Vegetable Stuffed Peppers

4 comments:

  1. The new colors look good Sarah! I loved stuffed peppers, I liked that you just worked with what you had and added what you like (who doesn't love more cheese!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw a cute idea for stuffed peppers this time of year, cutting faces (like carved pumpkins) into the peppers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @sara - Thanks for the compliments - I think the pink was reminding me of peto-bismal too much :)
    @karis - that is a great idea - I'll have to remember that for next year

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the red! Have you thought at all about making the background of the text white? I find that I'm drawn to white blogs more . . . though that could just be me : )

    ReplyDelete