Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pin-It Tuesday: Mock Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

I cannot quite explain my obsession with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, especially the holiday shaped ones. Trees, hearts, eggs, pumpkins -I love them all! The sweet and salty combination is my kryptonite. I have an extremely hard time resisting, but I try with all my willpower.

But when I found this recipe on Pinterest to make them at home, I just had to give it a whirl.
The ingredients are simple enough that I had everything already at home!

I had to mash up some graham crackers and it ended up being a bit more than one of the three packages in the box.

All dry ingredients are mixed together.


Although I had a little issue measuring the powdered sugar - whoops! Mom loves when I make a mess in her kitchen :)


Then the wet and dry ingredients are combined into the heavenly peanut butter filling!



Then you have to spread it into a pan and let it set up in the freezer for a bit before putting the chocolate over the top.






Here is where my fail came in. Who would have known that 20 seconds too long in the microwave can destroy chocolate? (I do now!)


My mom came and saved the day, but Matt stopped by and distracted me so I didn't get the final picture. Yes he laughed at me and my chocolate debacle but couldn't wait to try the final product. I took some over to his place the night we had the pulled pork burritos.

They are a pretty good mock version of them and now I know just how bad they are for me. However making them myself means that I can cut them as small as I need for a PB/Chocolate fix. Matt loved them and ate a few after the burritos and had the rest that I left him in the next few days.

This will definitely go on my repertoire of amazing desserts that need to be rationed! :) Or sold at a bake sale!

2 comments:

  1. Peanut butter and chocolate are my weakness.
    Just wanted to stop by and thank you for linking up at the Super Social Link Party at Snack Cups and Smiles....Thanks!
    With Smiles,
    Angie at http://snackcupsandsmiles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love holiday shaped Reese's!

    ReplyDelete