Monday, October 21, 2013

Harvest Time - Apple Cake

Fall is in full swing in Wisconsin and I am seeing apple picking and pumpkin farm trips on a lot of my Facebook friends' feeds these past weeks. I don't think I'll be making it to a pumpkin farm this year, but it was a great time last year. There are two pumpkins that my mom told me I could carve if I wanted to, so I'll work on those next week.

But I was able to use a few apples from a local orchard (Patterson's in Greenfield). I came across this recipe from Lui in Cucina through my blog searching and Pinterest and although this was called a cake, it looked like bread to me and that drew my interest.

It was a recipe that sounded simple enough that I would make it for my boyfriend while he recovers from rotator cuff surgery. I didn't remember the small step of using an electric mixer to cream the butter and sugar, so I attempted it by hand.


I think I did a great job because the batter ended up looking normal.


 Mixing up the brown sugar and cinnamon was much easier :)

 And I almost forgot the flour the pan - that could have been disastrous!


Then it's as simple as combining the rest of the dry with the wet and getting it in the pan.

You put half the batter in the pan, then add half the chopped apples and half the cinnamon mixture.

 And repeat!

 On this layer you have to push in the apples a bit more so they cook into the batter.
40 minutes later and I was able to have a bite of the best apple cake I have had! It was moist and solid like a pound cake but juicy like cake.
It was gone in just a few days!

I am so thankful for places like Pinterest and blogs so I can try new recipes that I wouldn't have thought of on my own. Visit Lui in Cucina for the complete recipe. You won't regret it!

1 comment: