Sunday, January 16, 2011

Chicken Chili - a la empty my fridge, freezer and cupboards!

I have had a craving for chili for quite some time and finally had the time to let it simmer on the stove and the flavors meld. The ingredients and directions are vague but it turned out amazing.

Not big on ordering chili when I'm out as I have very sensitive spicy taste buds and don't feel like having them burned off. I know that Nice Ash just had a chili dump and it ended up being extremely spicy. (That's why I prefer to make my own). So here it goes:

Ingredients:
1/2 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
6 baby carrots, halved, and halved
1 TBSP EVOO
2 - 3 marinated chicken breasts, cut into cubes - mine were carribbean jerk/Jack Daniels left over from New Year's that I froze
1 can chiili beans in zesty sauce (It came that way)
1 can black beans
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup tomato sauce (i didn't have just sauce, so I used a combo of left over pizza sauce, bbq sauce and spaghetti sauce)
5 mushrooms, quartered
chili powder to taste - I used Penzey's Chili 3000
dashes of cumin, pepper, salt, garlic powder, paprika
Shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
Let celery, carrots and onions sweat in the EVOO for about 10 minutes, then add all remaining ingredients and bring to light boil. The reduce heat to let simmer. I noticed that it was pretty runny so I added couscous (about a 1/2 cup) to help it thicken as I like a really thick chili. Simmer for as long as you would like - mine simmered for at least an hour. I then scooped a portion into a bowl and topped with shredded cheddar. I made little biscuits to serve on the side.

Now instead of having all these little containers of veggies, etc in my fridge and freezer, I have amazing chili!

No comments:

Post a Comment