Friday, February 4, 2011

Stand Up to Cancer

I stand for My family & Friends affected by cancer. Who do you stand up for?


Yes I know that this is a food blog, but I think it's completely okay to take one day out and bring attention to a cause that means so much to me - finding a cure for cancer. The statistics aren't getting any better and from the StandUp2Cancer site, 1 in 2 men will have some form of cancer and 1 in 3 women.

This is something that affects everyone in one way or another and finding a cure is a must! Too many people have been taken from us too soon. I am thankful for advanced technology and early detection in that I have only lost one person too soon from this; my Aunt Sharon was taken from us at the young age of 26. But her daughters have grown up to be amazing people and advocates of this cause.

As some of you may know, my main focus is breast cancer support. I walk in the Riverwalk for a Cure every year at Frame Park in May, the Susan G. Komen 5Kin September and buy items that help support providing mamograms to those less fortunate. If I buy something in a retail store that has the ribbon on it, I make sure there is some sort of tag or label on it that states if a part of my purchase price was donated or if the company is donating a lump sum. If that isn't specified, I do not purchase. I don't like the idea of other people getting rich off of another misfortune. Kohl's and Avon tend to have some very nice items and donate greatly to the finding a cure.

And to incorporate food into this blog, the first cupcake tasting that I attended for IronCupcake Milwaukee was a breast cancer themed event. There were amazing pink cupcake creations and the flavors were amazing - X Rated, pink champagne, pink lemonade, strawberry - just delicious. I also intend to complete my baking set with a few touches of breast cancer products. No I'm not going to get the Pink Kitchenaid Mixer - one in white or black would be nice tho.

Although I focus my funding towards breast cancer support, there are so many other kinds of cancer that need as much attention if not more. I don't think there is a part of the body that is safe from cancer. Please take a moment today and StandUp2Cancer. You can donate your Facebook status, Twitter post and more to bring awareness to this cause.

1 comment: