Thursday, November 29, 2012

From the Books Thursday: Shrimp w/ Snow Peas

We sure do like our Taste of Home cookbooks in this house, and today's recipe comes from the 2003 Light & Tasty book. We had some shrimp to use up in the freezer and the Shrimp w/ Snow Peas recipe sounded the best.


I gathered all the ingredients that I needed and any extras I could think of. We had an entire package of sliced mushrooms, but they were put too far back in the fridge and froze :(  So we had to use the brand new package and chop them up ourselves. No biggie, but sad we had to toss the rest out.



Mom took on the job of peeling the shrimp. They were deveined and not too hard to peel, but I'm not a fan of peeling the shrimp. I had already cut a fingertip earlier in the week by reaching in a drawer blind and catching a serrated knife, I didn't need a shrimp tail to cut that back open.
While she was doing that, I grabbed the lemon, dill and other ingredients and mixed away. Don't be shocked by the amount of lemon as it's nice and mellow in the final dish.
Chop, chop, chop the veggies I did!
Mom took care of the sweating of the veggies

I interrupted with photos of us - sheesh that kitchen light is bright!
And then I took it upon myself to open that bag from photo one and cook with wine. This one was just ok - it had a little musty smell once I let it breathe. But it had a screw cap so I'm not sure where the musty came from. I guess you get what you pay for as it was well under $10.

Here is me supervising while the veggies sweated out.

After about 10 minutes, it was time to add the snow peas and for added yum, edamame! I was so excited to use some of these. A coworker turned me onto edamame years ago at a holiday party and I have been addicted ever since.
I gave my lemon-dill sauce a stir and added it to the veggies and it immediately thickened. About two more minutes on the stove and we were set to eat. This meal takes the length of time to cook rice on the stove, so our timing was impeccable. (However, we did have two people cooking this one!)

This was a very refreshing and healthy stir-fry dish that surprisingly doesn't use soy sauce. At only 322 calories, 6 g fat and 4 g fiber per HUGE serving (including the rice), this is going to become a regular in the family repertoire.
After dinner, I put on my comfy holiday socks with workout capris and relaxed on the couch before a Barre3 video was in order. I know how to keep it classy! :) This is just the first of my many pairs of holiday socks!

2 comments:

  1. Love the socks ha-ha! People keep telling me to try edamame, but so far I'm still skeptical! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love holiday socks - I have an entire drawer of them :) If you like beans, I think you would like edamame. Warm with sea salt, cold on a salad, mixed into a dish - it works great in many ways.

    ReplyDelete