Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Pin-It Tuesday: Take 5 Cups & #MKEFoodies Bake Sale Wrap-Up

Take 5 Cups
Sorry for the short hiatus and missing a few posts last week. I'm hoping to be able to keep up during the holidays, but they are always hectic, so you never know what could come up.

I saw on Pinterest some Rolo Pretzel Pumpkin bites that looked absolutely heavenly. As much as I love pumpkin, I instantly thought that these would be amazing with a peanut butter cookie as the cup. I love Take 5 candy bars and thought this would be the best way to make them at home in a cookie form.

I used a tried and true cookie recipe from my beloved Betty Crocker Cooky Book. This book has been used by my family for years and has all the favorite recipes that my grandma and mom wold make for family parties.

It's a pretty basic peanut butter cookie dough, but this recipe uses mini muffin tins to make the cups. After I chilled the dough overnight, I spooned it into the cups, filling them to the top. I followed the baking instructions from The Domestic Rebels, but cooked them for just a few minutes longer as the toothpicks weren't coming out clean. I'm guessing PB is a little more dense than Pumpkin.

The cookies puffed up really nice, but the second I stuck in the toothpick, they deflated. This helped when I needed to put the Rolo candy in the middle of each.

The Rolo's sunk pretty far into the cookies, making it hard to get the pretzel to stick to it. So I quickly melted some chocolate chips in the microwave and drizzled it over the Rolo. This allowed the pretzel to stick nicely to the top of the cup.

I let them sit in the pan for about 15 minutes and then transferred them on cooling racks.

I then stored them in a 9X13 glass pan with a lid. I of course had to try one and it was even better than I thought it would be! The Rolo was a bit hard in the middle, so I would use a caramel filled Hershey's Kiss next time, but the flavor combination was everything this girl could want and more. Sweet, salty, soft, crunchy - yep all in one! I will definitely add these to my party repertoire of desserts.


I decided that these would be sold for the Cookies for Kids' Cancer #MKEFoodies Bake Sale on Saturday. I packaged some on a large tray and the rest were put in bags of two. Just like everything else at the sale, these sold fast. I was worried about the large tray of them selling, but it actually sold before some of the packs of two.
Pabst Brewery, Milwaukee, WI

View from the parking structure at Pabst Brewery
The Bake Sale was a wonderful success raising over $1600 that day. OXO  (who has these amazing spatulas) and Glad did some matching, bringing the total right around $5,000! If you couldn't make the sale and would like to donate to this wonderful organization, you can do so until the end of December.
MKEFoodies Bake Sale
It was great hanging out with fellow #mkefoodies and blogger friends, and finally meeting a few of them in person including Karis' Kitchen. And I got to make some new friends that will be joining the #mkefoodies at the 2013 events.
Mark your calendars for the second Saturday in December 2013 as that is when the next Cookies for Kids' Cancer #MKEFoodies Bake Sale will be held. It will be at a new venue though. With the increased popularity and Groupon deal for the Pabst Brewery Tour, we had to share the room with the incoming tours. It was great to see them so busy with the tours, but it is an hour of history in the Best Place before the tour, so it was a lot of talking and traffic in a very small place.

No comments:

Post a Comment